Monday 21 May 2012

Starting the search

I first encountered the story of Reggie DeVaulle via this story on the BBC Website from January 2012.
"100 years of the war on drugs". The article featured the Billie Carleton case in which Reggie DeVaulle was charged with manslaughter. At first my attention was grabbed by the 'Scottish woman Ada' and her Chinese husband Lau Ping You, the Limehouse dealers frequented by Reggie. 

I have discovered a lot more about Ada and her life. She is a tragic figure at the periphery of this tale. I'll return to her story at a later date.
Billie Carleton c. 1918

A book that I can't recommend highly enough is 'Dope Girls' by Marek Kohn. It's an excellent analysis of the birth of the British drug underground from the liberal late Victorian era to the moral outrage that arose during and after the First World War leading to the prohibition of previous legal drugs. You can get it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment